Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cakes I Have Known 7



These cupcakes were for a 9th birthday party. The vegetable idea came from the first Hello Cupcake book and were surprisingly easy to shape. The peas are salt water taffy and mini M&Ms. I used salt water taffy because I couldn't find the green Starbursts recommended but I wouldn't use them again - they don't hold their shape as well. The carrots, in contrast, were made from Starbursts and they held their shape even in the intense summer heat. The mushrooms are made out of fondant. I used Martha Stewart's Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It's a little fussier than my usual icings, but I would use it again, particularly for a cake where taste matters.
Here is a shot of an assortment of cupcakes. The LEGO heads, bricks, the flowers, bananas and mushrooms are all fondant. I used edible food writers for the details.

No comments: