Monday, July 12, 2010

Peach Pie Filling

I got this from the Bernardin site a couple of years ago. For something that looks rather pedestrian in print, this peach pie filling is astoundingly fragrant and delicious. All three of my kids have exclaimed out loud when I serve it. Usually what I've done is make turnovers with it, using puff pastry. It's also nice over yogurt or ice cream. The original recipe includes a cup of golden raisins but as I've never tried it that way I can't comment.


12 c prepared peaches (peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped)
two 3" cinnamon sticks
2.5 tsp whole cloves
2 & 2/3 c white sugar
2 c peeled, finely chopped apples
1/2 c lemon juice
1/4 c white vinegar
2 Tbsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

Place cinnamon and cloves in a tea ball or cheesecloth. Combine peaches, spice ball, sugar, apples, lemon juice, vinegar, lemon rind and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then boil gently for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove spice bag and can: makes 4 pints.

No comments: