Monday, December 22, 2008

Gingerbread

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
2 eggs
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp ground cloves
6 tsp ground cinnamon
6 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp cardamon
1.5 tsp baking soda
6 cups (more or less) flour (I use white flour, you might get rocks if you use whole wheat)

Mix everything in order, pausing a little with the sugar and butter. When you've got a nice firm ball of dough, flatten it slightly into a disc, then wrap in a bag and chill for at least an hour.

Then you can roll it out (I roll between parchment, so as not to have too much added flour - I find it makes them hard) and go wild with your cutters. 

This is an incredibly flavourful gingerbread. I've increased the spice amounts from what Martha initially set out, so feel free to get wimpy with the spices if you like. I don't mind. I don't think Martha will, either. 

Oops, forgot the baking instructions:

350ºF for about 12 minutes. Be careful with these though - you don't want them overbaked. 

No comments: